The Goal

I'M ON A MISSION TO PHOTOGRAPH AND FISH THE REMOTEST STRETCHES OF THE WILDEST RIVERS IN CALIFORNIA IN A CAMPAIGN TO PROTECT WATERSHEDS AND WILDLIFE. LOOK HERE FOR STREAM INFO, PHOTOS, CONSERVATION ISSUES AND ADVENTURE STORIES AS I COVER OVER 1,000 RIVER-MILES BY FOOT, BIKE AND KAYAK. 
PROTECT WILD FISH. 
EXPAND THE WILD AND SCENIC SYSTEM. 

March 17, 2008

North Fork Mokelumne River



Wild factor • 7
Trout Rating • 7
Fish caught • 0
Fishing season • East of Highway 49, last Saturday in April to Nov. 15; there is one mile of river west of Highway 49 that is open year-round.
Remote Access • The wildest stretch of river lies above Tiger Creek Reservoir, a lush 7.5 miles that harbors the river's biggest and best fish. To drop into the middle of it, take Winton Road east from West Point in Calaveras County for about 5 miles to Lily Gap. Turn left on Forest Road 7N44Y which parallels the river for the next three miles before coming to an abrupt halt. Descend 600 vertical feet to the river anywhere along it.

Wild and Scenic status for the North Moke has been proposed by the U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management and actively advocated by The Foothill Conservancy, an Amador County group that has collected about 600 signatures of support from local residents. Final eligibility documents were competed last year and Conservancy Director Chris Wright has encouraged people to write Congressman Dan Lungren, representing the district, to ask for further action. The proposed 37-mile stretch east of Highway 49 has some of the best trout fishing in the area, plus a dizzying array of American Indian cultural sites from a time when the canyon was used as a passageway to the Eastern Sierras.

I kayaked the lower 5 miles of the river and fished near Highway 49 since the upper portion remains off limits. Again I didn't catch anything but I blame it on a bruised arm I got while kayaking. Devil's Toilet Bowl, the last and only class 3 rapid in this stretch, turned me over and smashed my elbow into a rock. I proceeded over another rapid while trying in vain to flip over with my one good arm. Out of breath in calmer water I popped out and swam through freezing water to the shore.
Note about pictures: These are from last year. The last bit of Salmon Creek water is still evaporating from my camera.